Subject: Re: Several Questions: netatalk, router
To: lee <lee@www.math.louisville.edu>
From: kevin havener <havenerk@thunder.scott.af.mil>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/17/1997 16:32:23
lee wrote:

(snip, snip)

> (2) Dialing up with PPP from home, I'd like to use the ci as a gateway
> for two other machines. Right now, I have a dynamically assigned IP
> number and am calling in at 33.6. Is the ci fast enough to handle the
> traffic? Are there instructions out on the 'Net for handling the IP
> routing between the PPP and the local machines so I don't need several
> fixed IP numbers from the ISP?

What you're looking for here is IP masquerading, where you set up a
private network using the IP addresses reserved for that purpose.  Look
in the Linux Documentation Project's HOWTO's for the one about IP
Masquerading.  It might also be disguised under the one about
Firewalling.  I don't recall and I'm too lazy to look right now :-).
While the linux info may not be BSD specific, I'm not sure it has to be
in this case.  There's also info in LDP HOWTO's about some creative
dynamic IP hacks that may be useful (or not) for you.