Subject: Re: Crash reading from /dev/rst0
To: None <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Paul Ripke <weripp@itwol.bhp.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/17/1997 16:20:27
hauke wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Quoting from /sys/dev/ic/ncr5380.doc:
>
> >This driver will permit reselection on non-polled commands if
> >sc->sc_flags & NCR5380_PERMIT_RESELECT is 1.  This permits enabling of
> >reselection on a per-device basis.
> >
> >Disconnect/reselect is never permitted for polled commands.
>
> AFAIK, the sbc driver operates in polled mode unless you specify interrupt
> driven operation by an option (which then makes it similar to the
> interrupt-driven ncrscsi with similar problems).

Well, I've recompiled an SBC kernel (current, as of 16-12-1997), with
the disconnect/reselect option enabled, and, lo and behold, tape
operation is great! I think it may have even slightly increased total
throughput, by allowing tar to perform reads without waiting for writes
to complete (??? I'm only guessing...).

However, I did notice 2 SCSI errors (1 for rst0, and sd1a) so I might
do some harder testing tonight...

Definitly more "useful" than NRCSCSI for my hardware! Thanks for
the suggestion!

Thanks,
Paul Ripke
BHP Information Technology
Open VMS, UNIX (AIX, DG/UX, SCO, IRIX, Digital, SunOS...) Sysadmin
 Computer Centre, Five Islands Rd, Port Kembla, NSW 2505, AUSTRALIA
  stixpjr@ozemail.com.au  weripp@itwol.bhp.com.au  pjr02@uow.edu.au
        Anyone wishing to lay claim to the opinions expressed
                  herein, do so at their own risk.