Subject: Re: Modem probs/other unix's?
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: wb2oyc <WB2OYC@BELLATLANTIC.NET>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/17/1997 05:26:03
>There is also Linux/mac68k (or some such name).  The last I heard it was
>not ready for prime time.
Yeah, but its worth checking from time to time.  They have been making
good progress lately, except that right now their main web site is down
for a major overhaul or something....

To be very frank about it I'm looking forward to giving it a try.
Mainly because they are "attempting" to do it all, by not relying
on the Mac's ROMs at all.  From my perspective (I'd love to here
comment from those of you that are more expert in this) that would
also make their chances of success very, very difficult, what with
the dirth of info on the internals of the various models.

The reason its interesting to me is this: shouldn't their port be
able to provide better performance from a given machine, since they
won't be utilizing any ROM'd code, or is that wrong?  If its wrong,
why is that the case?

Paul