Subject: Re: rc.conf etc
To: Peter Abrahamsen <p1rabbit@halcyon.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/17/1997 01:28:40
Peter Abrahamsen wrote:

> This is probably a FAQ - is there an archive of them somewhere?

Of course ;-)  Take a look at either:

http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/

or

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/faq/

(or any of the NetBSD mirror sites as well).

> the Meta-FAQ
> for linux-ppc is really good, but I don't remember seeing anything similar for
> netbsd.

Similarly:

http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/meta-faq/

or

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/meta-faq/

> I just reinstalled netbsd for the 16 bazillionth time, and I ran into a
> problem (using the latest 12/13 1.3 snapshot, and accompanying standard
> kernel) upon booting. It demands that I configure /etc/rc.conf. I have looked
> this over, and edited it (having to learn vi in the process as yall forgot to
> put in a worthwhile editor (read: joe)),

yeesh...you're just asking for flames, aren't you? ;-)  The vi editor is
the only editor that you're pretty much guaranteed to find on any
Unix-like system in the world, so it's a pretty good idea to know how to
use it.  Besides, it's small, fast, and extremely useful.

> but it still states that my rc.conf
> file needs to be edited and refuses to boot in multiuser mode until I have
> done so. I assume that this is something fairly basic I am doing wrong...

Have you read the INSTALL document?  It will tell you that you need to set
the variable rc_configured=YES to enable a multi-user boot (this line
should be towards the top of rc.conf).

> Also, has anyone compiled bash 2.01 for netbsd/mac68k yet? that'd just make my
> day... And if anyone has joe, I'd loveya to death... :)

I'm sure someone has compiled bash, but unless you want to install the
package system (which I'd recommend even tho I haven't yet), you should
check out the NetBSD-Amiga archives, a mirror of which can be found on
ftp.netbsd.org.  Just about all NetBSD/amiga (and sun3 and hp300 and
atari) binaries should be compatible with NetBSD/mac68k (that's part of
the cross-platform beauty of NetBSD :-)

I hope this helps some.

Later.