Subject: Re: IIcx hardware question
To: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/16/1997 13:38:11
At 4:47 AM -0800 12/16/97, Mark Andres wrote:
>get 32MB total RAM.  But when I start up, I only have 20MB of RAM showing
>up under MacOS in "About This Macintosh ...". NetBSD also only recognizes
>20MB.  I KNOW these are really 4 MB SIMMs.  Does anyone know if there is
>some hardware limitation on the SIMMs that go in Bay B of a IIcx that
>limits each slot from recognizing more than 1 MB?

There is no such hardware limitation.

In the MacII there was a problem with some handshake line violating a later
standard for high-density memory so > 1 MB SIMMs need a special PAL.   In
some later Mac's (the IIsi?) they got cheap about building address decoding
logic.

AFAIK the IIcs == IIci and can address 128MB of memory (once you fix the
dirty ROM's that is).  Perhaps if you used a different version of Mode32?