Subject: Re: Modem probs/other unix's?
To: Mike Matz <picasso@centuryinter.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/16/1997 10:27:14
>I am still having probs with my modem and NetBSD 1.3, but I don't think
>they are as easily solvable as getting a new script.
>Correct me if I'm wrong, but if my modem's /dev/tty00, this command should
>reset the line:
>echo atz^M > /dev/tty00
>(the ^M for the return)
>
>Yes, I know it should, because it does.  However, if I would do this
>command 5 times in a row, (or, say, five "ath0^M") only every other one
>would go through.  This seems to be part of the problem.  The other problem
>is that _every_ time I try an atdt command, it will _not_ go through.

The fact that it works every other time is the key to understanding the
problem. In order to embed a <CR> in the datastream, you need to actually
type Control-V, followed by Control-M. atz doesn't take any additional args
on the command line, so it acts without the carraige return, atdt, on the
other hand, won't do anything.  You should probably also embed the arg in
single quotes, so that it looks like this:

% echo 'atz^M' > /dev/tty00

But of course, you're not actually typing "caret M", but Control-V Control-M.