Subject: Total Terminal Wierdness
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <ADAMGOOD@delphi.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/16/1997 01:32:18
Hi All.

I've waited a long time before mailing this question because I thought
that maybe if I educated myself I could figure it out for myself.
I was wrong.  I have some really confusing problems with my terminals
that I cannot understand.

The gist of it is this.  When I telnet from my Mac (on a regular text
console) to SOME machines at school (notably the HPs running HP-UX.10.20)
my terminal goes nuts.  The login goes fine until the tset commands in
my .login at school.  I have:

(standard noglob stuff)
eval `tset -sQ \?$TERM`

Where $TERM should be vt220 being passed from the Mac (in fact it
does set $TERM to vt220 on the remote side).

Suddenly, after that, line after line of text tries to pring itself
out only on the bottom line of my screen, constantly overwriting the
previous line (I can only see one line at a time like this) very fast.
I know the HP-UX side is SysV based, but neiter tset nor tput commands
really fix the problem.

What's even stranger is that after I logout and return to my Mac, my
console now displays the same behavior!  Reset doesn't really fix it
either.  Actually, reset is pretty funky on its own.  It freezes the
text in the last half of the screen and then makes the top half act
like the whole console.  It does this even if typed without having
previously jacked up my console by telnetting.

Strangely the only thing that SORT OF works is using the X command resize,
which fails somehow, but seems to restore SOME of the correct properties
to the console (i.e. you can now use the whole screen again).  After
resize, commands like less still work wierd though.

I thought it might have something to do with telnet, but it doesn't.
rlogin does the same thing, and so does just typing reset and then
resize.

I also tried stty sane and stty -g > .stty; stty `cat .stty`.  Nothing
seems to work very well.

I thought I had figured out a little bit about terminals, but I guess
not.  I have no idea how to possibly fix this problem.  It isn't a
crisis type of thing.  My system is still useable.  But I am baffled.
Can anyone spare a few tips on this stuff?

Thanks for reading.

-Adam

P.S.  Even wierder (to me) is the fact that tset initializes the
terminal at login to vt220, with none of these wierd behaviors!
Why does it work at login time, and then fail when done later?!?