Subject: ping localhost failed
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Murdock <fee@tetrahome.tetranet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/15/1997 14:03:10
Maybe I am overlooking something simple.
After upgrading to system 7.1, NetBSD 1.3beta (from mid-Nov) boots fine
on my LC II.
I've done the rc.conf configuration on many *BSD machines before, so I'm
fairly certain I got that part correctly.  However, I'm seeing unusual
behavior with tcp/ip services.  For instance, pinging localhost or 127.0.0.1
times out.  Telnetting to localhost works fine.  After establishing a
serial line connection using slattach, I get "no route to host" when
attempting to ping the other end.  The other end (a performa 575 running the
same NetBSD distribution) simply times out trying to ping back to my LC II.
I cannot telnet from P575 to LC II.
I don't really see how there would be any routing issue in a serial
connection.  When I bring up the interface, I specify the IP address of
both ends, which automatically updates the routing tables. (verified in
netstat -r).
What would cause this strange behavior? I am not noticing any problems
pinging, ftping, or telnetting to or from my SE/30 or Performar 575, both
of which are running the same NetBSD distribution. (And consequently
should have very similar configurations)

Thanks,
Mark