Subject: Re: modem troubles
To: Mike Matz <picasso@centuryinter.net>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/14/1997 16:18:08
>I know that you people are tired of hearing from me and my problems,
>because I am a novice unix user.  Yesterday, I tried to setup pppd w/ the
>ppp.setup script(s?). (Thanks Bill)  I configured everything, but couldn't
>get them to work.  Later, after getting discouraged, I had my friend, a
>linux user, come over to try to solve my problems.  Sure enough, I had
>overlooked the last command I get when logging onto my ISP, and it worked
>perfectly.  (ppp-down wasn't working, but good enough for me :)  I enjoyed
>it for a while, but my computer froze (white screen w/ nothing to do, ^X ^C
>^Z ^D didn't work), so I restarted it.  From this point on, I have not been
>able to communicate with the mode.  The only command that seems to work is:
> echo atz^M > /dev/tty00
>and that makes it reset, as it should.  however, this command:
> echo atdt123456^M > /dev/tty00 will
>will now work for some reason, and occaisonally makes the computer freeze.
>When I run the ppp-up script, it looks like normal (connecting... done),
>but does nothing.  Nothing w/ a ppp in it shows up when doing 'ps -xua'.
>It seems as though it tries to get the modem (not making any sounds,
>though), but can't so it just stops or something.  Can someone please help
>me with this?  I have no idea what could be wrong with it, because it
>worked fine before.  However, when it froze, I did have to force the
>reboot, and I don't know if this may have damaged something...  The modem
>still works fine under MacOS. (that's how i'm writing this.)
>
>Thanks for any help :)

On my machine, and presumably on others, too, I need to edit a few things
before the ppp scripts actually work on my machine.
First is to use Paul Goyette's settings, because my machine doesn't ever
have 2 ppp interfaces. (involves renaming all the *.pg files to the actual
files...see the README)
Second, I need to edit the modem initialization string found in ppp-chat (I
usually make it ATE1V1 to make it simple and attractive to all my modems).
I also change the baudrate in options and in ppp-up to 38400 because I
think I either get ring overruns in 57600 or my modem doesn't like that
mode, don't remember which.
Also, I chmod 700 ppp-down and ppp-up

try checking some of these and see if modifications mentioned work for you.
later,
  - a

 Armen Babikyan - armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu - http://electron.xeo.net
               ----<insert lame quote here>----