Subject: modem troubles
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Matz <picasso@centuryinter.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/14/1997 13:23:16
I know that you people are tired of hearing from me and my problems,
because I am a novice unix user.  Yesterday, I tried to setup pppd w/ the
ppp.setup script(s?). (Thanks Bill)  I configured everything, but couldn't
get them to work.  Later, after getting discouraged, I had my friend, a
linux user, come over to try to solve my problems.  Sure enough, I had
overlooked the last command I get when logging onto my ISP, and it worked
perfectly.  (ppp-down wasn't working, but good enough for me :)  I enjoyed
it for a while, but my computer froze (white screen w/ nothing to do, ^X ^C
^Z ^D didn't work), so I restarted it.  From this point on, I have not been
able to communicate with the mode.  The only command that seems to work is:
 echo atz^M > /dev/tty00
and that makes it reset, as it should.  however, this command:
 echo atdt123456^M > /dev/tty00 will
will now work for some reason, and occaisonally makes the computer freeze.
When I run the ppp-up script, it looks like normal (connecting... done),
but does nothing.  Nothing w/ a ppp in it shows up when doing 'ps -xua'.
It seems as though it tries to get the modem (not making any sounds,
though), but can't so it just stops or something.  Can someone please help
me with this?  I have no idea what could be wrong with it, because it
worked fine before.  However, when it froze, I did have to force the
reboot, and I don't know if this may have damaged something...  The modem
still works fine under MacOS. (that's how i'm writing this.)

Thanks for any help :)