Subject: Re: Q700 doesn't boot
To: Craig A Terlau <terlau@csd.uwm.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/13/1997 13:00:07
Craig A Terlau wrote:

> I followed the instructions and installed NetBSD 1.2.1 on my Quadra 700
> and it doesn't boot properly.  It appears to load the kernel and then it
> tries to boot (text window shifts to full screan) then fails.
>
> The last several lines of text read:
>
> ARGH!! No Boot Device ???? Only supports DISC Device for booting
> Changing root device to a.
> panic: cannot mount root
> Stopped at _Debugger+0x6:unlk a6

This is because NetBSD 1.2.1 doesn't support your machine.  If you look at
the supported hardware section of the INSTALL doc (i.e. the instructions),
you'll notice that no '040-based Macs were supported.

Fortunately, NetBSD 1.3 will work just fine with a Q700 (I'm using one to
telnet into work and write this message now).  So, you'll want to go get a
copy of NetBSD-1.3_BETA (sorry, the release isn't for another week or 2)
and install it:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3_BETA/mac68k/

Be sure to read all of the INSTALL doc before you begin.

> The machine has 20 Mb. ram and a 1 Gb. hard drive.  I formatted the drive
> as described in the INSTALL read me file.  Then I installed the file
> system on all the UNIX partitions using the mkfs_1.4 utility.  Then I used
> the NetBSD/Mac Install Utility 1.1 to install base121 and netbsd121, and
> then did a build devices.  Finally, I used the NetBSD/Mac68k Booter
> (1.9.5)  adn the boot failed. I played around with this thing for a long
> time trying to troubleshoot before writing you.  This is my second attempt
> at trying to make this work and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Any
> advice will be appreciated.

BTW, you'll also need to get newer versions of all the Mac-side utilities.
All of this is available in the location I noted above.

> If I can make this work, I want to set the machine up as am FTP/web/mail
> server and put it on internet.

Once you get NetBSD 1.3 installed, it should be a snap :-)

I hope this helps some.  Let us know if you have any more questions or
encounter any more problems.

Later.