Subject: Q700 doesn't boot
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Craig A Terlau <terlau@csd.uwm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/13/1997 14:21:45
I followed the instructions and installed NetBSD 1.2.1 on my Quadra 700
and it doesn't boot properly.  It appears to load the kernel and then it
tries to boot (text window shifts to full screan) then fails.

The last several lines of text read:

ARGH!! No Boot Device ???? Only supports DISC Device for booting
Changing root device to a.
panic: cannot mount root
Stopped at _Debugger+0x6:unlk a6

The machine has 20 Mb. ram and a 1 Gb. hard drive.  I formatted the drive
as described in the INSTALL read me file.  Then I installed the file
system on all the UNIX partitions using the mkfs_1.4 utility.  Then I used
the NetBSD/Mac Install Utility 1.1 to install base121 and netbsd121, and
then did a build devices.  Finally, I used the NetBSD/Mac68k Booter
(1.9.5)  adn the boot failed. I played around with this thing for a long
time trying to troubleshoot before writing you.  This is my second attempt
at trying to make this work and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Any
advice will be appreciated.

If I can make this work, I want to set the machine up as am FTP/web/mail
server and put it on internet.

Craig.