Subject: Re: PPP and Worldnet -- too late
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/13/1997 11:05:12
On 12/12/97, Space Case wrote:

> And using PPP
> seems to have fixed the problem I was having with SLIP -- FTP to various
> machines would hang in the opening dialogs, causing the server to time
> out and close the connection.

Hm. I had problems with my internal SLIP connection, doing roughly that.
Did you by any chance run with a reasonable MTU? The default MTU for our
SLIP is 296 or something, which is insufficient for talking with the real
world. Setting it higher might help, if the other end of your connection
supports it. (Luckily, I control both ends of the connection, so I could
set my SLIP MTU to an arbitrary value.)

In my kernel config file:

options         SLMTU=1500      # SLIP MTU

> I'm not willing to PPP into eskimo though, because half their modems are
> still 14.4K.

Hey, what's wrong with 14.4K? I still use 14.4K, and with today's typical
congestion, I usually don't see a lot of difference between my 14.4K
connection and several friends' 33.6K connections, except that sometimes my
connection is snappier. <evil grin> Well, okay, maybe they get better
speeds on good days, but not by a lot. IMHO, anything short of 56K is too
slow anyway, which is why I've never bothered to move past my 14.4K modem.
My next modem will be a dedicated connection. (My other car is a 'Vette.
Yeah. That's it.)

Later...

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments