Subject: More LC520 problems
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Matz <picasso@centuryinter.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/12/1997 22:12:48
Hello.

I wrote this list recently (4 days ago?) about problems installing/booting
NetBSD on my LC520.  I received suggestions to use the SBC kernel, use
1.3_BETA, and many other things.  Since then I completely erased the
partition and reinstalled NetBSD 1.3_BETA on it in hopes that it would run
aoko.  However, it is still freezing on startup.  The files I put on were
kern_sbc.tgz and base.tgz, and also some of the other ones (comp, man,
text, etc).  I installed all of these from the installer (I have yet to
even see a NetBSD interface :) and then "Built Devices."  I ran the Booter,
set the SCSI ID, single user mode, etc etc, and tried it out.  It froze
again, but this time it didn't keep on repeating itself.  This is almost
all the text on the screen (hand-copied)
 <start copy>

[preserving 322592 bytes of netbsd symbol table]
Bootstrapping NetBSD/Mac68k
Getting mapping from MHU
System RAM: 8388608 bytes in 2048 pages
    Low=0x0, high=800000
Checking for internal Video mapping: PB/IIvx (0x60?00000). Does it ever end?
    Forcing VRAM size to a conservative 1024k
PB/IIvx (0x660b00000) internal video at addr 0x60b00000
    (phys 0x60?00000), 6n0x100000.
Done.
Bootstrapping the pmap system.
Pmap bootstrapped.
Moving ROMBase from 0x4080000 to 0x9f5000.
Video address 0x60b00000 -> 0xbf5000.
Copyright... (c) etc..

NetBSD 1.3_BETA (GENERICSBC) #52: Sat Dec 6 16:32:02 1997
    allen@wormey:/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/GENERICSBC
Apple Macintosh LC520 (68030)
cpu: delay factor 96
real mem=8388608
available mem=4964352
using 128 buffers containing 524288 bytes of memory
mrg: 'MacLC520 ROMs' ROM glue, tracing off, debug off, silent traps
mrg: I/O map kludge for ROMs that use hardware addresses directly
adb: bus subsystem
Got following HwCfFlags: 0xec00, 0x   773f, 0x1b404926, 0x   ac7460
mrg: setup_egret
mrg: setup_egret: done.
adb: extended keyboard at 2
adb: 200 dpi mouse at 3
mainbus0 (root)
obio0 at mainbus0
adb0 at abio0 (ADB event device)
asc0 at obio0: Apple Sound Chip
intvid0 at obio0: Internal Video
intvid0: 440x680, monochrome
grf0 at intvid0
ite0 at grf0 (minimal console)
sbc0 at obio0: options=1 <PDMA>

 <end copy>
That's it.  I am desperately seeking help.  I gather from the last line
that it may be the GENERICSBC that is wrong, perhaps I need GENERIC.  I'll
try that, but people told me that it would only work w/ the GENERICSBC.
Also: In the FTP directory containing kernel/ and bin/, there was a
NETBSD-SBC.gz file and a kern_sbc.tgz file, both of which were the exact
same size.  I took both, but the installer would not recognize the .gz
format.  I decided to try it w/ the kern_sbc.tgz file, because they look
pretty similar. (same size, both seem to have the kernel (??))  You can see
above what happens.