Subject: Power-off ability
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Benoit MARTEL <magus@cs.mcgill.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/12/1997 16:23:54
Until this week (and since before 1.2), my IIvx had never powered itself
off. I just waited for the shutdown to tell me it was safe to power it
off and pressed the power button at the back.

I faintly remember a discussion about it on this list but it was long
ago. What I remember (quite possibly incorrectly) from it was that some
machines tend to be able to power-off or not from time to time maybe
because their inability to do so resulted from a kernel-size related bug.
End of vague memories.

A few days ago, I compiled a custom kernel and removed lots of unneeded
options. I even decided to give HWDIRECT (commenting out MRG_ADB) a try.
The machine now powers-off!

Incidentally, I started peeking around the source lately to familiarize
myself with it. I stumbled upon cpu_reboot and it seems to me that wether
my machine powers-off or not is simply a matter of wether or not I use
MRG_ADB.

Are my memories completely off (damn, another bad Brain-SIMM)?

Is there still a recurring problem with powering-off (or was there ever
one) or is it really only a question of not using MRG_ADB?

Thanks for any (historical) info.
Ben.

"Because user errors often produce unpredictable results, the user
should try to avoid them."

IBM MVS/XA System Programming Library.