Subject: Re: Booting problems in 1.3beta on a Q840av
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@glue.umd.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/12/1997 04:43:09
On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

>Doesn't happen all the time, but I sometimes get:
>
>. . .
>fpu0 at mainbus0 (mc68040)
>vm_fault(18c00, 34410000, 1, 0) -> 1
>  type 8, code [mmu,,ssw]: 505
>trap: type 0x8, code 0x505, v 0x3441073b
>kernel: MMU fault trap
>..some more hex stuff..
>db> t
>_Debugger(...) ...
>_panic
>_trap
>faultstkadj
>_domaininit
>_main
>_main
>
>This was copied by hand so I left out a lot of hex that I wasn't sure mattered.
>
>When the above doesn't happen the system hangs after the setting ttyflags
>message.
>
>This is a Quadra 840-av with 32MB RAM, a MacCon Ethernet card in slot d
>(unconnected now) and the motherboard Ethernet connected.  Apple HiRes RGB
>monitor at 640X480 B&W.  Booting from MacOS 7.1update3.
>
>The last few days (since I got back from vacation) I've been seeing a *lot*
>of errors on the screen from the MACE-5 kernel which I reported before and
>think indicate collisions.  MACE-5 now frequently dies after the starting
>network boot message and the traceback suggests to me that it is running
>out of memory allocating socket buffers.  If this is still relevant let me
>know what info you want.

Yes MACE5 is giving me lots of collision errors, but seems to work despite
them as I have ftp'd all the BETA source and bin tarballs including the
xsrc which has got to be close to 113 Megs of data with out other problems
or crashes.  I am recompileing a kernel now on my 660av to see if this will
go away before I look throught the sources.

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@Glue.umd.edu
My home page