Subject: Re: Crash reading from /dev/rst0
To: None <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Paul Ripke <weripp@itwol.bhp.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/12/1997 10:57:14
hauke wrote:

> >You don't happen to have a decent MacOS tape backup program, do you? ;)
>
> Well, I've got an old version of Retrospect lying around (~1.3), but it
> didn't dee the HP DAT. So I experimented with SunTar 2 and Tar 4.

Hmm. Suntar works for me, but stopped when it found a filename which
was too long. Haven't tried Tar...

> >I'm glad to say that I've had more luck under NetBSD with my tape drive.
> >
> >On another note, anyone know why SBC locks up on eg. mt rewind, while
> >NCRSCSI does not? Is it my kernel SBC options?
>
> A question of timeouts? Though I don't know who is responsible for this:
> The upper MI SCSI layer or the low-level driver.

Sorry, should have been clearer - when using SBC, an 'mt rewind' will
block most interupts until the operation completes - well, clock
interupts anyway. Until the rewind completes, the machine appears
"hung" - completely unresponsive.

Using NCRSCSI, the rewind seems to be "queued" allowing the rest of
the OS to continue normal operation. I can background the 'mt' and
continue work.

Thanks,
Paul