Subject: Re: Newbie Stuff
To: Chris <smirks@mail.eclipse.net>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/12/1997 08:43:49
Hi Chris,

You are going to get flooded with "read the FAQ" messages, so here is one
more. The answer to all your questions and more can be found in the
MacBSD FAQ, located at:

  http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/

But, while I'm here ...

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Chris wrote:

> Howdy folks.  I just installed 1.2 of NetBSD on my IIvx.  Starts up
> perfectly, but I have a few questions about getting some stuff on there.
>
> First, lets say I download some stuff via MacOS using fetch.(Since I
> don't have pppd config'd yet).  How would I transfer those files from the
> Mac partition to the A/UX partition? Would I use the install utility, or
> what?

You can use the Installer utility, go to the mini-shell, and use 'cpin' to
copy the files into your NetBSD partition.  Another way to go about it is to
get hfsutils. This set of utilities allows you to access your MacOS partition
from inside NetBSD.  For more information, see;

  http://www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/hfs/

> Second, what is the easiest way to configure pppd?  And what all has to
> be set for a dynamic ip assignment on connection?

The FAQ has pointers to two different PPP kits. I have also put together a
step by step HOW-TO on connecting to an ISP with a dial-up PPP connection.
See my .sig for the URL of my NetBSD web site.

> Third,  how do I change the time zone?  When i run 'date' it says GMT
> although I'm in EST.

Again, clearly spelled out in the FAQ, but you make a symlink from
/etc/localtime to the appropriate file in /usr/share/zoneinfo/*

Have fun with it,

Mark

   Mark Andres               E-mail: mark@giganet.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!