Subject: Re: Newbie Stuff
To: Chris <smirks@mail.eclipse.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/11/1997 17:52:09
Chris wrote:

First, take some time and read the FAQ, it answers most of these
questions.  It can be found at:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/faq/

or

http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/

> Howdy folks.  I just installed 1.2 of NetBSD on my IIvx.  Starts up
> perfectly, but I have a few questions about getting some stuff on there.

Cool.  Glad it's working for you.

> First, lets say I download some stuff via MacOS using fetch.(Since I
> don't have pppd config'd yet).  How would I transfer those files from the
> Mac partition to the A/UX partition? Would I use the install utility, or
> what?

You can use the Installer, or get a copy of the hfs utility off of puma (I
can't remember the exact path at the moment), or else find a copy of the
hfsutils package and use it.  The latter 2 options work from within NetBSD
and are usually faster than using the Installer.

> Second, what is the easiest way to configure pppd?  And what all has to
> be set for a dynamic ip assignment on connection?

Take a look at Bill Studenmund's PPP kit.  The location is in the FAQ.

> Third,  how do I change the time zone?  When i run 'date' it says GMT
> although I'm in EST.

Also in the FAQ.  A newer version of NetBSD and Booter might make this a
little easier, btw.

I hope this helps some.

Later.