Subject: Re: Newbie Stuff
To: Chris <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: wb2oyc <wb2oyc@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/11/1997 19:52:07
Chris,

>Howdy folks.  I just installed 1.2 of NetBSD on my IIvx.  Starts up
>perfectly, but I have a few questions about getting some stuff on there.
>
>First, lets say I download some stuff via MacOS using fetch.(Since I
>don't have pppd config'd yet).  How would I transfer those files from the
>Mac partition to the A/UX partition? Would I use the install utility, or
>what?

I'm pretty new with this NetBSD thing myself, but I use preciself what
you're using (Fetch).  Then, you can use the Installer; launch MiniShell,
and do a 'cpin' (copy in, ie, from MacOS --> NetBSD to get the tarball
down on the BSD partition.  Thats the way I do it, since I have no other
tools, and I haven't been successful with the hfsutils as yet.

>Second, what is the easiest way to configure pppd?  And what all has to
>be set for a dynamic ip assignment on connection?

Get Bill's pppkit.  The readme lays it out pretty good, and it works
pretty much "out of the box" so to speak.  You may have only minor edits
to do on the options file and thats about it.

>Third,  how do I change the time zone?  When i run 'date' it says GMT
>although I'm in EST.

I can't get this right either, and some of the kernels don't always
seem to read it right from the PRAM.  I don't worry about it at this
point.  If you get it set right on the Mac side, and then set your
'bias' in the booter, it should be pretty close after boot, but it
loses time quickly after that, so its not a big deal, since it won't
be correct for long anyway, unless you do an ntp update often.

Paul

wb2oyc
ar..