Subject: Re: Centris 650 + Apple 16' with X11 doesn't work ?
To: Vincent BARAT <Vincent.Barat@ansf.alcatel.fr>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/11/1997 14:33:08
> I've just changed my monitor to a 16' Apple display (plugged on internal
> video) and X11
> doesn't want to start (...can't start with no screen...). The graphic
> device is not recognized by
> the kernel.

This is a known bug. The video address is slightly different in 800x600
than in 640x480 and this somehow casues the grf_iv device to fail the match
phase.

This should go away when I finish making "real" video drivers for the quadras.
Progress is a little slow right now since I'm working on my master's thesis
but I've made some very promising inroads on Quadra hardware.

Another reason for delay is that Scott seems to be hinting at the fact
that the whole nature of our graphics/console driver model is going to
change. I'd like to wait and see what is going to happen before making
more kernel code.

> Is there a fix for that ?

The MADHATTER patch will fix this problem if I recall. You'll need to
compile your own kernel but since you have a card you might be able to
do better.

> I have a nubus video card comming with the 16' monitor (Apple HiRes
> Video Card). Do you
> think using this card instead of the internal video will fix the problem
> ? Do you think that with this card
> I will be able to start color X11 ?

You might be better off using the video card for now. If I remember right the
SLOTMAN kernels will work with your machine and card.

Check out ftp://ftp.whoopee.com/pub/slotman
(I hope I got the URL right!)