Subject: HWDIRECT dies when mouse moves
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Benoit MARTEL <magus@cs.mcgill.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/10/1997 22:18:01
Hi,

I've just encountered a problem with a -current kernel (homegrown) when I
comment out MRG_ADB (therefore using HWDIRECT).

This seems to be basically the problem described in pr#2568.
(in which the last comment asks for verification of the symptoms)

If I move the mouse during the boot, my kernel dies, dumps registers and
stack then the debugger is hung and not responding.

This is very easy to reproduce so if someone wants the dumped info, I can
send it.

I'd like to note that the crash occurs not only if I move the mouse
during adb initialization but even if I wait carefully and only start
moving the mouse much later, after the sbc line. The last line displayed
before all the error messages is "zsc0 at obio trap: type 0x1, code
0xa24d, v 0x48e7ffff" (this is already half error message).

I compiled a kernel adding only the MRG_ADB line to the config and I can
move the mouse as much as I want during the entire boot without problem.

My machine is a IIvx with 8Mb.

Later,
Ben

"Because user errors often produce unpredictable results, the user
should try to avoid them."

IBM MVS/XA System Programming Library.