Subject: Re: LC II Strikes Again / Boot hangs
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/10/1997 19:36:58
Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Andre Nuendel wrote:
>
>> Do you really have a LCII with a 68020 ?
>> Could that cause the boot problems?
>> Have you tried to boot with the #47 kernel?
>> For me it works fine with the 1.3BETA snapshot.
>
>LC II should have a 68030. Only the original LC and the Mac II (and 1
>other that escapes me ATM) used the 68020 chip.

There apparently were some LC-II systems sold in Europe that aren't
exactly the same as the LC-II's we're used to here in the US.  I recall
trying to help someone about a year ago who had one of these systems and
we were never successful getting it to boot NetBSD.  Under MacOS it
wouldn't even identify itself as an LC-II when we ran the ROM Sniffer.
He insisted that it was an original LC-II that had never been upgraded
though and it did have an LC-II sticker on the front.  I don't remember
exactly what Gestalt ID it returned, but I believe it did have an '030
CPU.  However the ROM Sniffer has always had some difficulty in
determining actual CPU and Bus types.

-bob