Subject: Re: Hard drive partitioning question
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/10/1997 12:25:52
> I've heard that it sometimes helps system responsiveness to have a swap
> partition on the outer edge/cylinders of a drive since these should have
> faster access times.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Should I
> even bother?  Also, if I format a drive and create a swap partition first,
> will most formatting utilities actually put that partition first (i.e. on
> the outer cylinders of the drive)?
>
> Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

If you have a drive with a variable number of sectors/track (most today),
then yes, the outer edge is faster for data transfer. Though I've never
run a system to see the difference. My gut instinct is that our hardware
isn't fast enough (compared to a modern hard disk) to really notice the
change.

Are secors numbered inside to out, or outside to in?

Take care,

Bill