Subject: Re: ouff! success
To: None <frederic.berier@enst-bretagne.fr>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/09/1997 16:26:12
> Ok!  I succeed in booting in multiuser with GENERIC #52  only when I
> enable the lines of console and ttye0 in ttys file.
>  What does it mean?

Uhm, why did you disable them? You only need the one on /dev/ttye0,
not the one on /dev/console. Having both can be bad.

When the system goes multi-user, users logging in to a physically-
connected terminal (either the keyboard, or a serial terminal)
connect using a program controlled by this file (telnet and rlogin
are different).

I bet you were successfully booting multi-user before, just the only
way you'd be able to get in would be via the network.

> By the way, build in ethernet of my 660AV does not work with this
> version of Kernel. It tells me that network is unreachable, although
> I've configured the riquired files.

What is your network setup, and what is the exact message (I.E. you
type command X and see output Y)?

Look at the messages displayed at boot. Is the ethernet interface
configured? If not, it's a kernel problem. If the interface IS
configured, it's a file configuration problem.

Take care,

Bill