Subject: termic problem?
To: PortMac <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Balazs Barany <bb@lb-data.co.at>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/09/1997 23:24:17
Hi,

I recently had a serious problem with my Mac IIsi running 1.3 beta. I =
don't
use it heavily because I've bought it only as a playground and for =
providing
disk space for my other (Win95) computer. Before it was in heavy use at =
the
university for six years. Now it is in my working room without a window =
where the
temperature reaches 30=B0C (86=B0Fahrenheit). On top of the computer is =
the
13" monitor which is switched off most of the time.

One morning, after being up several days, I saw file system errors in =
the=20
"Daily output" and ran fsck which printed more errors. I started single =
user to
let fsck fix the errors, it checked and corrected some strange ones=20
(partially allocated inodes or so). I restarted with reboot -n as usual. =
It=20
came up normally, an I started fsck again to be entirely sure. It found=20
many (~50) new errors, file system errors as well as disk surface=20
errors (if I read it correctly). The next time it wasn't able to boot
NetBSD (MacOS and the installer worked, the booter said that the kernel =
was
in the wrong format; I cpin'd the same kernel, but it didn't work =
again.).

After two days being switched off I started the computer again and =
NetBSD
started correctly. Everything works. There were many errors (bad inodes =
....)
but fsck was able to correct them.
I thought that it could be the Quantum/NCR error but it is very =
different. The
system didn't crash and my data are there. I don't see strange file =
names with
"ls -R /".

Are there any known termic problems with Mac IIsi's? I planned to use it =
as a
server for low priority tasks such as mail and mailing lists but if I =
need to switch
it off for hours that wouldn't be very wise.
Bal=E1zs B=E1r=E1ny    bb@lb-data.co.at    http://www.lb-data.co.at/bb

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice