Subject: LC II Strikes Again
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Murdock <fee@tetrahome.tetranet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/09/1997 14:11:48
A couple days ago I mistakenly posted a message about having resolved the
issue with booting 1.3Beta on my LC II.  There are still some items that
have me pretty confused, so listen to this and tell me what you think.

Recall: LC II, 6 M of ram, standard setup.  Running system 7.0.1.

Here are the different ways we tried this and here are the results..

system 7.0	no Mode32	Wont boot kernel
system 7.0	Mode32		Wont boot kernel
system 7.0.1	no Mode32	Wont boot kernel
system 7.0.1	Mode32		Wont boot kernel
system 7.6	no Mode32	Kernel boots fine

When I say "wont boot kernel", I mean it doesnt get out of the booter period.

Why does it work fine with system 7.6?  I don't have the space for system
7.6, so I really need to be running 7.0.1, but I can't get NetBSD to boot
from it for the life of me.

Is the LC II not 32-bit clean?  I do not need Mode32 do I?  The Memory
control panel has the option for 32-bit mode even when I have not
installed Mode32, so I figured that was something of a sign.

I'm drawing a blank.  It is acting as if the system software is not
really putting it in 32 (as opposed to 24?) bit mode, whereas system 7.6
was doing the trick.  Let me add another bit of information .. the system
7.0.1 install was done as "System Software for the LC II" (or was it
simply LC).  Would this have ANY impact??

(What i'm getting at is some bug in the LC-specific install that never
lets the system get out of 24-bit addressing even though it SAYS it does)

Help,
Mark Murdock
fee@REMOVEtetranet.net
Because of increasing amounts of spam mail, please remove the obvious
part of the above address to email me.