Subject: Re: Diff question: SE/30 Ethernet
To: None <jluther@uiuc.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/09/1997 09:02:37
On Mon, 8 Dec 1997 22:11:41 -0600,
"Jason E. Luther" <jluther@uiuc.edu> wrote:

> I get that message about 80 times every day in /var/log/messages:
> /netbsd: ae0: warning - receiver ring buffer overrun
>
> Am I losing packets destined for my IIci, or is my ethernet card just
> getting overwhelmed by being on a network with several hundred other
> computers?

I'm not sure whether NIC filters out packets whose destination address
isn't its own or broadcast.  If it does, it loses only packets which
may be addressed to it.  If not, it's being overwhelmed by the traffic
on the net.

If you're really determined to know which, you can download the DP8390
datasheet off NS's web site ;-)

Ken