Subject: Re: Mosaic compile under NetBSD?
To: None <shascal@siue.edu>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@compuserve.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/08/1997 15:27:13
>I have compiled Mosaic successfully on a NetBSD current snapshot from
>last month. There was no need to use a canned makefile - the configure
>scripts work fine if lesstif is installed (I pre-built and later
>configured Mosaic with the jpeg, png, and z libs also, which is pretty
>standard.) You will need to change the libpng makefile to use ranlib (if
>you want to use png graphics), and then run the configure script in the
>Mosaic-src directory with a command like;
>./configure --with-jpegdir=/usr/local/lib/jpeg-6a/
>            --with-pngdir=/usr/local
>            --with-zdir=/usr/local

What version of Mosaic do you have?  The version I have doesn't use
configure, so I am really interested to find a version that does.  I
thought I have the latest version, but it only says they plan in th
future to incorporate configure support.

>During compile, you will encounter the infamous sys_errlist doubly
>defined message, so just temporarily comment out that line in
>/usr/include/errno.h. Later, you will have to edit some .h files and
>move most of their comment to the corresponding .c files (I think the
>comment forms in comment.h had to be moved to the top of comment.c and
>then comment.o recompiled) to prevent the linker from spitting out
>multiply defined segment errors. Finally, during the linking stage for
>the Mosaic application, you will have to edit the makefile in the src
>directory and tell it where some X libraries are -  tell the makefile to
>include libICE, libXt, libX11, and some others while linking. Hope this
>helps. If anybody wants, I could post step by step instructions on how
>to build Mosaic, but then that kind of limits your installation and
>compile options (Mosaic is full of them!)

I got the /usr/include/errno.h message, but that was only after it
couldn't find a number of the shared libraries.  I was editing header
files for a while, but figured that is not the way this is supposed to
go.  I added /usr/local/include to my ld.so.conf file and rebooted.  It
still couldn't find the includes.  So, I am re-compiling lesstif with
some options I didn't add last time, and I am going to take a closer look
at where the install makefile plans on putting things.

Thanks for the tips,

Sean.

                 T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
71410.25@compuserve.com            TSSchulze@aol.com
Custom reconciles us to everything.  -- Edmund Burke