Subject: Re: Diff question: SE/30 Ethernet
To: Mark and Ailien <fee@tetranet.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/07/1997 15:34:38

> Those interested,
>
>   This question relates to an SE/30 I have running NetBSD 1.3Beta (the
> distribution as of mid-November).  I have an Ethernet card (A daynaport I
> believe) that NetBSD is recognizing fine.  My problem is, when using it for
> various things (ftp, xdmcp, nfs) I get something along the lines of:
>
> ae0: receive buffer ring overflow
>
> I realize that this is not precise, but it is very close, and of course it
> makes sense what is happening.  Is there a source file that I can modify to
> increase the receive buffer size?  I am running a system with 8MB of RAM,
> so memory is a tight issue.  Could that possibly be the cause?  Any
> suggestions appreciated.

We'd need to see the exact message to be sure, but I don't think there's
anything we can do. The receive buffer, if the message's talking about
what I think it is, is on the card itself, so adding more host RAM
won't help it.

More host RAM might help if you're spending a lot of time swaping to disk
(more stuff could stay resident at a time), but that's a long shot.

Take care,

Bill