Subject: Re: top on 1.3beta
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/07/1997 14:18:54
On 12/7/97, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> 1.3_BETA requires changes to top.  These changes are available in the
> "pkgsrc" area, and it builds fine using pkgsrc.

Incidentally, I'm still seeing a slow creep up in memory usage with top.
I'm using the version from our package system. Basically, after a day or so
it shows its own memory usage to be maybe twice what it was when it started.

For example, I just rebooted after popping in a new kernel. Here's what top
says about itself:

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE   SIZE   RES STATE   TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
  166 mason     28    0   280K  436K run     2:09  0.90%  0.90% top

In a day or two, chances are the SIZE (total consumed memory, including
swap used, I assume) will have grown to over a megabyte.

Is this a problem with top? Or is it NetBSD/mac68k at fault? Or is it
NetBSD in general? I'm assuming it's a problem with top.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour? I'm not sure how to proceed with it,
and while I *could* dig through the source, I haven't the foggiest clue
where to start looking for a memory leak. I might give it a whack anyway,
as there's probably little else that would be a better introduction to the
stuff I need to learn, but if someone else has a clue, I'd love to hear it.

Later...

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments