Subject: Re: Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
To: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jaohlma@bgnet.bgsu.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/06/1997 10:47:57
> I am trying to run Netscape off of a remote host to display on my NetBSD
> machine.  I have X-windows working locally; i.e., I can use Mosaic, xterm,
> and so on, without trouble.  I can also view netscape on the MacOS side by
> using MI/X.
>
> At the remote host, I use
> 	setenv DISPLAY 129.1.199.62:0.0
> and then
> 	netscape &
>
> With MI/X on MacOS, this works fine (albeit painfully slow -- it's more of
> an experiment than a practical approach).  But with NetBSD, the remote
> host complains:
>
> 	Xlib: connection to "129.1.199.62:0.0" refused by server
> 	Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> 	Error: Can't open display: 129.1.199.62:0.0
>
> Since I can get this to work on the MacOS side, I am guessing that the
> difficulty is somehere in the NetBSD configuration, but I really don't
> know where to begin looking.

Try running "xhost <remote host name>" on the mac before trying netscape.

> I have added the remote host to /etc/hosts.allow.  For this change to take
> affect, do I need to completely reboot (i.e., `shutdown -r`; then boot
> from MacOS) or can I just `shutdown` to single-user and go from there?

I don't think that X looks at /etc/hosts.*. Those files are used by
the tcpwrapper system, which is used by inetd to spawn daemons. As the
X server is not spawned by inetd, /etc/hosts.* doesn't matter.

You DON'T have to shutdown for changes to /etc/hosts.* to take effect.

Take care,

Bill