Subject: Re: kernfs and stand - Re: Kernel Owned by ??
To: Austin Brower <browerab@psouth.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/06/1997 10:43:42
> Colin, Bill, and Mark,
>      I thank you three for your help. I chowned the kernel even though I
> found out from y'all that it really didn't matter who owned it. Colin: I
> plan to upgrade to 1.3 when it is released formally, the other user of
> the machine wants something that he can use all the time w/o problem.
>
>      Now on to two (or more) questions for the entire list:
>        1)  What is the kernfs filesystem/directory for?  Does it a
> perminant part of the root filesystem, or is it created at start up?
>        2)  What is the stand directory for?
>   I ask these questions because I will be moving my root filesystem
> directories to another HD sometime next week and need to know what
> directories to move.

/kern is the (standard) mount point for the kernfs file system. kernfs
lets the kernel present internal information to the users easily.
Programs can read this info by just reading a file, as opposed to
having to make a special system call.

/stand is, according to man hier, for programs for use in "in a
stand alone environment." Typically that seems to be stuff involved
in boot. On port-i386, it will install boot block, and I think you
can make netboot EPROMs. On port-sparc, it messes with boot blocks.

It's not used on port-mac68k as we have the MacOS applications to do
all the work.

Take care,

Bill