Subject: Re: RC and FSCK changes
To: Balazs Barany <bb@lb-data.co.at>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/06/1997 10:26:51

> I don't know if I'm right on this, but it seems so that there were some
> changes in fsck that caused problems for me.

No, it was the installer.

> When I installed 1.3b over 1.2.1, I didn't install the etc.tgz contents
> because I already edited some files in /etc (who didn't?) and I didn't
> want to lose that changes.
>
> When I booted the next time, rc stopped after running fsck -p because
> the new version of fsck doesn't seem to support that option.
> Nothing worked, neither vi nor my other editors. I was able to fix this
> by cpout -ing the file /etc/rc in MacOS, editing the file on my PC
> (TeachText wasn't able to open the file) and copying it back.
> The line "fsck -p" became "fsck /", since then NetBSD starts correctly.

No, it should be -p. ;-)

> What is the reason for this change? I think that this problem could be
> quite common.=20
> Most interesting is that even the new rc contains that (wrong) fsck -p.

The problem is that under 1.2, fsck and fsck_ffs were the same thing.
They were linked files on the disk. Now, since there is an fsck_msdos,
they are different. The installer didn't unlink them, so when it saved
fsck_ffs onto the disk, it overwrote fsck.

To fix, get the current base.tgz, remove fsck, and restore it from the
tar file.  It'll work.

Take care,

Bill