Subject: Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jaohlma@BGNet.bgsu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/06/1997 11:50:43
I am a little vague on X terminology so please bear with my attempts to
describe what I'm doing, and _do_ correct me where I'm wrong ...

I am trying to run Netscape off of a remote host to display on my NetBSD
machine.  I have X-windows working locally; i.e., I can use Mosaic, xterm,
and so on, without trouble.  I can also view netscape on the MacOS side by
using MI/X.

At the remote host, I use
	setenv DISPLAY 129.1.199.62:0.0
and then
	netscape &

With MI/X on MacOS, this works fine (albeit painfully slow -- it's more of
an experiment than a practical approach).  But with NetBSD, the remote
host complains:

	Xlib: connection to "129.1.199.62:0.0" refused by server
	Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
	Error: Can't open display: 129.1.199.62:0.0

Since I can get this to work on the MacOS side, I am guessing that the
difficulty is somehere in the NetBSD configuration, but I really don't
know where to begin looking.

I have added the remote host to /etc/hosts.allow.  For this change to take
affect, do I need to completely reboot (i.e., `shutdown -r`; then boot
from MacOS) or can I just `shutdown` to single-user and go from there?

This not especailly important but even so I would like to understand
what's happening here.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Ohlmann