Subject: Re: ZIP Drive/Panic
To: Dan McMahill <mcmahill@alum.mit.edu>
From: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jaohlma@BGNet.bgsu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/06/1997 10:02:46
On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Dan McMahill wrote:

> sd2 at scsibus0 targ 6 lun 0: <IOMEGA, ZIP 100, F.09> SCSI2 0/direct removable
> sd2: drive offline
> ^^^ This is with the zip ejected.  With the zip in, I get 96MB, 96cyl, 64heads,32sectors
>    512 bytes/sec x 196608 sectors.

Is the behavior affected by having the disk loaded or ejected?  I have had
boot problems (hangs though, not panics) when the zip disk is loaded
during the boot.  With the zip ejected, it boots fine and I can later
mount the zip disk.  (This is a P550, Generic-45).

Bill and Colin have already suggested trying an SBC kernel, which you
certainly should, but it may be more complicated than that.  I happen to
have a HDD that really cannot stomach the SBC driver.  I have found,
however, that I can still use the zip, though I might add with
considerable caution, using the ncrscsi driver.  I would suggest first
assuring yourself that your HDD works properly with the SBC kernel, and
once you are confident of that, start experimenting with the Zip.

Good Luck,

Jeff Ohlmann