Subject: Re: Kernel Owned by ??
To: Austin Brower <browerab@psouth.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/05/1997 16:00:07
>     But, I digress, here is my greatest question.  I recently ls -l'ed
> the root and found that the kernel, netbsd, is owned by user 200 in group
> wheel.  I know of no user 200 on this system and feel that something is
> wrong here.  Is user 200 the correct owner of the kernel?

No, but it doesn't matter that much if you don't have a user 200.

Ownership of the kernel only matters to the extent that whomever can write
the kernel can a) change what happens next boot, and b) make all the
libkvm programs (the ones which will generate kernel mismatch errors,
like w and ps) break.

Take care,

Bill