Subject: Re: fifo and ring overruns w/ NetBSD1.2.1 GENERIC#0
To: MacBSD <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Harry <Harry.Weppner@gmx.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/05/1997 13:45:59
[ A copy of this message has been posted to the newsgroup ]
[     muc.lists.netbsd.port.mac68k                        ]

Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@landau.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

> Yes. crtscts only does output-stopping flow control (the mac serial ports
> don't really have an RTS output).
>
> What you want is cdtrcts, a new flow control mode, added to NetBSD
> recently. It's in 1.3. Also, ppp has been fixed to support cdtrcts. :-)
>
> I've used ppp on my IIsi at 57600 w/ cdtrcts w/o any problems, though the
> machine was loaded heavily. w/o cdtrcts was unusable.

Hi Bill!

I changed crtscts to cdtrcts in my /etc/ppp/options file and with kdebug
set, I still get lots of

ppp0: bad fcs d809
ppp0: VJ uncompress failed on type comp
ppp0: VJ uncompress failed on type comp
ppp0: bad fcs e7a1
ppp0: bad fcs 8c52
ppp0: VJ uncompress failed on type comp
ppp0: VJ uncompress failed on type comp
ppp0: bad fcs 9637
ppp0: bad fcs dc6a
ppp0: VJ uncompress failed on type comp
ppp0: VJ uncompress failed on type comp
ppp0: bad fcs 7759
ppp0: VJ uncompress failed on type comp
ppp0: VJ uncompress failed on type comp
ppp0: bad fcs da19
ppp0: VJ uncompress failed on type comp
ppp0: VJ uncompress failed on type comp
zstty0: 7 silo overflows, 0 ibuf floods

You said something about a specially wired cable:
Well, I hope I did everything the right way. Just to make sure, heres a
table with the Signals from the adapter in the first row and the pin
numbers of the Mini-8 port in the second row:

TXD    3
RXD    5
RTS    1 (DTR on the Mac) Is set by the Mac, if it is ready to receive
data!?
CTS    2 Is set by the DCE, if it is ready to send data!?
GND    4,8
DTR    1
CD     7 (Useless, I suppose)

This cable pinout makes sense to me and if it is indeed correct, I have
no idea whats causing my ppp problems :-(

Thanx & cheerio, Harry.