Subject: Re: Ignored Problem
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Benoit MARTEL <magus@cs.mcgill.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/04/1997 23:12:30
I am also plagued with this situation (and have posted a few days ago
about it). IIvx, need SBC but newer ones hang.

> On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Josh Hope wrote:
>
> So this is just another case of Apple not giving us enough information on
> these SCSI drivers?
>
> Maybe we could look back at the changes done between SBC 26 and SBC 27
> that lasted in the SBC series up until the current SBC? Maybe we could
> trace the problem or something?

I believe you would need cvs access to get that older code and the diffs
from that change/day. How many people have this BTW?

> It just seems like a run away problem. I mean, we're up to the 50's in
> kernel numbers, aren't we? :)

I think this is a good point. Many people are affected and its been a
long time. It's not fixed probably because its really not easy to fix but I
think its time to start looking for a workaround.

Actually, before looking for such a workaround, I just looked at the
mailing list archive and confirmed my memory that Scott Reynolds said he
backed out of the release branch sbc code that may have been causing the
hangs on bootup for LC/Performa. This is from the digest of November
19 (#249). Now either this code was not the problem or somehow 1.3_BETA
still has the code that he intended only for the post 1.3 -current.

Also, I dont know if its because I didn't look properly but I cant seem
to find a kernel on ftp.netbsd.org that works on my machine. All 1.3
kernels are too new and have the problem we are talking about now. The
1.2 and 1.2.1 directories only contain ncr kernels.

I have (stupidly) deleted all my old kernels and started from scratch
(used mkfs again) when trying to install 1.3_BETA. I dont have _any_
kernel that works. Anybody know where I should be looking?

> I'd really like to use a newer kernel, with some bug fixes (i.e. the one
> that prevents that nasty freezing bug I experienced earlier)...and it'd be
> nicer to be able to upgrade to a more recent snapshot, but the last time I
> did that, my kernel was way too out of sync with the binaries and it
> caused numerous problems...
>
> Well, thanks to everyone...
>

> Josh Hope                                          root@unixgeek.ml.org
> UNIX System Administrator                        http://unixgeek.ml.org
> 'Endless roll the waters past!                        - Lay of Leithian
> To this my love hath come at last,                    - Lines 1220-1223
> enchanted waters pitiless,                           By: J.R.R. Tolkien
> a heartache and a loneliness.'

Thanks for everyone who is not affected by this problem for their
patience with our bitching.

"Because user errors often produce unpredictable results, the user
should try to avoid them."

IBM MVS/XA System Programming Library.