Subject: Re: Ignored Problem?
To: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Josh Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/04/1997 20:16:40
So this is just another case of Apple not giving us enough information on
these SCSI drivers?

Maybe we could look back at the changes done between SBC 26 and SBC 27
that lasted in the SBC series up until the current SBC? Maybe we could
trace the problem or something?

It just seems like a run away problem. I mean, we're up to the 50's in
kernel numbers, aren't we? :)

I'd really like to use a newer kernel, with some bug fixes (i.e. the one
that prevents that nasty freezing bug I experienced earlier)...and it'd be
nicer to be able to upgrade to a more recent snapshot, but the last time I
did that, my kernel was way too out of sync with the binaries and it
caused numerous problems...

Well, thanks to everyone...

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Michael R Zucca wrote:

> > I have the same problem on my LCII with a quantum drive.  The only kernel
> > I have had success with is SBC #15.  The later SBC kernels freeze up at
> > the same place "sbc0 at obio0: options=1<PDMA>" except for #26 with
> > freezes at a different line.  I forget where it freezes, I haven't tried
> > booting it in a while.
>
> Same problem on my IIvx. In case folks havn't noticed there's a trend here.
>
> The LCII/IIvx/Performa 600 use the V8/VASP chips as their main clock/control
> chip and I would imagine that they also use the same variant of the SCSI
> controller. (The VASP is almost a direct derivative of the V8 gate array
> for those not up on their Apple Technotes)
>
> There is apparently something we don't understand about the V8/VASP chips
> that is casuing SCSI problems. The SBC problem is one, the kernel size SCSI
> bug with NCRSCSI kernels is likely another (though, that is likely related
> to a memory mapping problem as well).
>
> Right now we seem to be making the assumption that the LC/IIvx machines
> function nearly identically to the IIsi/IIci which use the RBV chip as
> their main clock/controller. Trouble is, while all the chips are pretty
> much the same, there is some tiny obnoxious difference that crops up
> that we don't quite handle.
>
> Sure wish we knew what that was :-)

Josh Hope                                          root@unixgeek.ml.org
UNIX System Administrator                        http://unixgeek.ml.org
'Endless roll the waters past!                        - Lay of Leithian
To this my love hath come at last,                    - Lines 1220-1223
enchanted waters pitiless,                           By: J.R.R. Tolkien
a heartache and a loneliness.'