Subject: Re: Crash! Boom! (was Re: README: Calling all beta testers!)
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/04/1997 15:29:19
On 12/3/97, Scott Reynolds wrote:

> Did you do a `make clean' in your kernel compile directory first?

I didn't. However, upon receiving your letter, I did a "make clean" before
rebuilding the kernel again, this morning. I get precisely the same error
as before, even after `make clean`.

> If you continue to have problems, I need to know if a GENERIC kernel boots
> on your system.

I just downloaded GENERICSBC-51, IIRC, and it crashed in exactly the same
spot, seemingly exactly the same way. I'm back to running my 1.3_ALPHA
kernel.

> Also, you might try adding or removing a driver or two to
> see if changing the kernel size helps.

Hm... I haven't tried this yet, but I assume that since the GENERIC kernel
*and* my custom kernel (built from sources up to date as of last night)
both fail the same way, size shouldn't be a problem. If it is a problem,
it's a serious enough one that it might want to be addressed before 1.3 is
finalized.

I wish I was competent to diagnose the problem further! Someday before too
long I'll get there.

Later...

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments