Subject: Re: NetBSD PPP
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: wb2oyc <WB2OYC@BELLATLANTIC.NET>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/04/1997 06:12:33
Bill,
>I doubt it. My kernel's happy with  a ppp link and a local ethernet. :-)

OK, thats good to know; nixes that thought.

>> >Please check exactly which program it is.
>> >
>> Yeah, but ps aux doesn't tell me that anything is there, thats whats so
>> puzzling about what it is!
>
>Do you have an up-to-date ps, and is /netbsd your kernel?

My 1.3 is recently downloaded, and the kernel is circa Nov. 15th.

>> >I doubt you need to run routed. Kill it, and edit /etc/rc.conf to not
>> >start it.

Is it possible that the kernel, when it sees both networks.....no, guess
not, 'cause you said yours doesn't do it....Lets see, I could remove the
ethernet card and boot without it to see what goes down then...

>> That was my 1st thought and it was initially there.  I have set rc.conf
>> so that it won't run, ever again!  :)  But that wasn't it...Do you think
>> it could be the LCP processes talking back and forth for some reason?
>> Or something else that is an integral part of ppp?
>
>I hope it's not the LCP process (well, LCP state machine). My ppp link
>doesn't have that problem. It could be a weird NetBSD-ISP interaction,

I haven't tried it yet to my ISP; this service I'm connecting to is at
work.  My ISP uses PAP and I haven't tried those settings yet for the
options file, but I need to do that.  Thats actually why I called the
service at work 1st, since its readily scripted and doesn't use either
PAP or CHAP so I don't have to fuss with that.

>though I bet it's more likely a configuration error somewhere. Though I
>know not where.

Yes, I suppose.  It works, and the connection persists, but so does
the high traffic volume from something, which really slows down any
interactive session.  Guess the thing to do is fire it up again, and
try to capture it and determine what the devil it is!  I'll let you
know if I have any success determining that.

Paul