Subject: Re: X help....color LKM
To: Dave Guynn <dguynn@geocities.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/04/1997 17:08:31
Hi Dave,

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Dave Guynn wrote:

> My name is David Guynn, and I am 12. Anyway, I just installed the
> X lkm and the X color server
>
> my /etc/rc.local looks like:
>
> ..
> ..
> ..
> if [ -f /usr/lkm/video_combined_lkm.o ] ; then
> echo 'loading Xvid'
> modload -o /tmp/video -e video_lkm_cmd /usr/lkm/video_combined_lkm.o

IIRC, you are using a IIcx and a HiRes video card, very similar to my setup.
Instead of running it from rc.local, see if you have a /etc/lkm.conf file.
If you do, I recommend not using the rc.local method.

Here is my /etc/lkm.conf file:

#       $NetBSD: lkm.conf,v 1.2 1997/07/14 11:55:46 drochner Exp $
#
# see lkm.conf(5) for details.  path will look in /lkm and /usr/lkm.
#
# path          options         entry           postinstall     output         when
#/lkm/if_ipl.o  -               -               -               -              -
/usr/lkm/video_lkm_combined.o   -       video_lkm_cmd   -       /var/run/video -

Also, be sure to get Colin's version of the video_lkm_combined.o file.

After you reboot, you can use the modstat command to see if the lkm has loaded
or not.  If it is not loaded, it looks like this:

ratbert# modstat
Type    Id  Off Loadaddr Size Info     Rev Module Name

If it has loaded, it looks like this:

bullwinkle% modstat
Type    Id  Off Loadaddr Size Info     Rev Module Name
MISC      0   0 06c28000 0018  6c2c000   1 mv_video

> I type startx (Thanks to Mark Andres!)

You're welcome. Glad to see you got tyhe PATH problem worked out.

> It comes up with some diffrent color screens, and says LKM not
> configured at boottime when it runs rc.local

Also, as recommended by others, you might want to try upgarding to 1.3-BETA.
I am using 1.3-ALPHA on my IIcx with the old (1.2 distribution) X11 set and the
old colorkit X server.

Good luck.

  Mark Andres         E-mail: mark@giganet.net
      Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
  Me & NetBSD: /www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/