Subject: Re: Some good news and some bad news
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/04/1997 17:27:05
> > So, that wasn't finished before I left for work.  Come home tonite, boot
> > it up fine on the IIci just to be sure it works.  Cool!  Put the disk on
> > the Q605 and this is what happens.....
>
> Oops...big mistake...read the INSTALL doc!

> Don't bother.  If you'll take a look at the supported hardware section of
> the INSTALL doc or the machine-status page, both should indicate that
> NetBSD doesn't currently support a Quadra 605.  The problem with this
> machine is similar to that with the Classic Macs and the PowerBooks, most
> likely a video mapping problem.

	True. The current Booter (v1.11.1), however, can work around this.

	Grab that Booter, and then in the "Booting" dialog, enable the
"Video address hack (for LC575 & 475?)" switch. This should allow the
kernel to at least output console messages on on the internal video.

	Note that this should work for any 040-compatible kernel (say,
anything built from sources within the last year), and should work fully
(except for the LC040 emulation problam) with current 1.3-BETA shopshots.

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au |"People say I'm strange, does it  |
|  Telstra IN Platforms, Sydney, Aust.  | make me a stranger?              |