Subject: Ignored Problem?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Josh Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/04/1997 00:22:17
There's been a recurrent problem, at least for me, for almost a year now.
It seems to be an incompatability between NetBSD SBC kernels greater than
26 and my Performa 600.

I've brought this problem to the list's attention at least 5 times, and
each time it is seemingly ignored.

Normal kernels (not SBC) greater than 26 *do* work on my machine, but they
mess up my disks bad (because they aren't SBC).

Anyways, the newer SBC kernels all "stop booting" at this message:

sbc0 at obio0: options=1<PDMA>

The light on my EZ drive (which functions as my root partition) is steady
on, but it's not accessing. I can leave it at this point for hours and
hours, but it will never get any further...

I really wish someone could look into this. It seems to be a recurring
problem for me, and it is so strange since it only happens with SBC
kernels greather than 26...

I thank everyone for the priceless support and help they've offered me
since I first started experimenting with NetBSD. Thanks! Now can we tackle
this problem that just won't go away?

Also, is anyone else out there running NetBSD on a Performa 600? The
IIvx's don't seem to be affected (I don't think) by this problem. Is it
only my computer? What would cause behaviour so weird like this?

Thank you all again,

Josh Hope                                          root@unixgeek.ml.org
UNIX System Administrator                        http://unixgeek.ml.org
'Endless roll the waters past!                        - Lay of Leithian
To this my love hath come at last,                    - Lines 1220-1223
enchanted waters pitiless,                           By: J.R.R. Tolkien
a heartache and a loneliness.'