Subject: Re: NetBSD PPP
To: wb2oyc <WB2OYC@bellatlantic.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/03/1997 20:30:27

> >Rather than always "route flush"ing, you can set the rc scripts up to
> >never bother putting in a default route to begin with. I think you just
> >remove the "defaultroute" file in /etc. Look at /etc/netstart to see.
> >
> Quite true, but not in my case, since I'm on an ethernet here and WANT
> the normal default gateway to be a router on this network.  Thats why
> I need to do this instead.  Probably should look into putting it in a
> script that calls pppd tho' now that I think about it.  Thanks

?? Will you have two different computers phoning into the internet?
If so, you have a slightly complicated setup, and messing with ip-up
and ip-down scripts would be the best thing to do. If, however, this
machine will be the only one on the internet, then you don't need the
default route for the ethernet.

> >> still persists.  Is the kernel doing this because it sees the two possible
> >> networks (my ethernet and now the network to which I'm connecting)?

I doubt it. My kernel's happy with  a ppp link and a local ethernet. :-)

> >Please check exactly which program it is.
> >
> Yeah, but ps aux doesn't tell me that anything is there, thats whats so
> puzzling about what it is!

Do you have an up-to-date ps, and is /netbsd your kernel?

> >I doubt you need to run routed. Kill it, and edit /etc/rc.conf to not
> >start it.
>
> That was my 1st thought and it was initially there.  I have set rc.conf
> so that it won't run, ever again!  :)  But that wasn't it...Do you think
> it could be the LCP processes talking back and forth for some reason?
> Or something else that is an integral part of ppp?

I hope it's not the LCP process (well, LCP state machine). My ppp link
doesn't have that problem. It could be a weird NetBSD-ISP interaction,
though I bet it's more likely a configuration error somewhere. Though I
know not where.

Take care,

Bill