Subject: Re: Keystone Interface (ADB)
To: None <mcmahill@alum.mit.edu>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/03/1997 16:31:50
Colin Wood wrote:

> > D)  I saw something in the manual which makes me think the main feature
> >     of their driver is to load some registers in the converter box on
> >     power up.
>
> Probably so.  If it's an ADB device, it can do whatever it wants with
> registers 1 and 2.
>
> > E)  They have ignored my requests for more info.
> >
> Not surprising :-)
> >
> > Some of what I don't know (and would like suggestions on) is:
> >
> > a)  Where do I even begin to try and make this work right?
>
> Download a copy of ADB Parser 5.0.7 from dev.apple.com (it's somewhere in
> the devworld/Tool_Chest/ hierarchy, I think).  Get a copy of ResEdit with
> the code editor extensions, and get a copy of MacsBug.  Then you need to
> start figuring out how the driver behaves under NetBSD vs. under MacOS.

If you have another Mac available, there is another ADB utility (the
name slips my mind right now) and if you make a special cable you can
plug the ADB device from one machine into the serial port of another.
Then the program lets you actually watch what is going over the ADB bus.
It is VERY useful to see how devices get configured during MacOS bootup
so you can mimic this sequence for NetBSD. I think it's "ADB Probe" or
something, and should be in the same place as ADB Parser, at least it
used to be.

	--John