Subject: Re: NetBSD PPP
To: None <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: wb2oyc <WB2OYC@BELLATLANTIC.NET>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/03/1997 22:22:16

>> If you're using Bill's kit, its already there.
>>
>> Try doing a 'route flush' before connecting via ppp, IF you want the
>> ppp link to be the defaultroute!  Thats what I do.  If I don't, I get
>> errors from the pppd trying to set the default, because theres already
>> another one defined!  If you don't want that link to provide the default,
>> you should REMOVE that statement from the options file, and probably
>> setup some static routes.
>
>Rather than always "route flush"ing, you can set the rc scripts up to
>never bother putting in a default route to begin with. I think you just
>remove the "defaultroute" file in /etc. Look at /etc/netstart to see.

Quite true, but not in my case, since I'm on an ethernet here and WANT
the normal default gateway to be a router on this network.  Thats why
I need to do this instead.  Probably should look into putting it in a
script that calls pppd tho' now that I think about it.  Thanks

>> I'd like to ask a question regarding PPP myself, and that is, I see
>> some process fill the link with traffic as soon as I try to do anything
>> across it (telnet, netstat, anything).  It kills the performance and it
>> never seems to stop!  I thought it was routed, and I still suspect its
>> advertising its routes, or whatever it does.  But, I killed it, and it
>> still persists.  Is the kernel doing this because it sees the two possible
>> networks (my ethernet and now the network to which I'm connecting)?
>
>Please check exactly which program it is.

Yeah, but ps aux doesn't tell me that anything is there, thats whats so
puzzling about what it is!

>I doubt you need to run routed. Kill it, and edit /etc/rc.conf to not
>start it.

That was my 1st thought and it was initially there.  I have set rc.conf
so that it won't run, ever again!  :)  But that wasn't it...Do you think
it could be the LCP processes talking back and forth for some reason?
Or something else that is an integral part of ppp?

I can't imagine what it would be, and this service is used by various
other machines running different OS's and their PPP implementations.
I haven't seen this behavior when connecting to this same service with
any of them.  Thats  part of what makes it such a puzzle, for me anyway.

Paul