Subject: Re: fifo and ring overruns w/ NetBSD1.2.1 GENERIC#0
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/03/1997 18:33:47
Bill Studenmund wrote:

> Note: in 1.3 the names changed.
>
> fifo overflow -> silo overflow
> ring overflow -> flood

Hmmm...I'll have to make note of that in the FAQ...

> > > What you want is cdtrcts, a new flow control mode, added to NetBSD
> > > recently. It's in 1.3. Also, ppp has been fixed to support cdtrcts. :-)
> > >
> > > I've used ppp on my IIsi at 57600 w/ cdtrcts w/o any problems, though the
> > > machine was loaded heavily. w/o cdtrcts was unusable.
> >
> > Bill, doesn't this require a specially wired cable?  Or will a normal
> > hardware-handshake cable work for this mode?
>

> Yes, but I assumed the cable Harry made worked right.

Ah.

> > Also, can your modified stty support output speeds higher than 57600?
>
> stty's not the problem. stty will defer to the driver as to the validity of
> a rate. The driver won't support higher than 57600 on the internal clock,
> as older macs will melt with it.
>
> What machines support higher than 57600 under MacOS? We can probably
> change the machdep tables for 1.4.

Hmmmm...damn good question.  My guess would be that many of the Quadras do
support it (my Q700 appears to do so, but it's kinda hard to tell, ZTerm
could be lying to me).  I'll dig around in the Mac Facts database, but I
don't think this kind of info would be available.  You wouldn't happen to
know of a place to find it, would you?

Later.