Subject: Re: Some good news and some bad news
To: David Johnston <david@canopus.apana.org.au>
From: wb2oyc <WB2OYC@BELLATLANTIC.NET>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/03/1997 21:36:41
David,

>It would be good if you could try it. Mine was working correctly with an
>early alpha kernal (built late october), but was having problems with
>kernals built towards the end of the alpha period - so it would be good
>if you could try a late alpha or beta kernal.

OK, I did it, but it was a bit of a struggle.  And, it isn't going to
tell us much either I'm afraid.

I first just installed the SLOTMAN kernel (circa Nov. 15th, so its
pretty much up to snuff I think).  I did that this morning while having
my 1st coffee (maybe that was bad luck).  I installed it over the NetBSD
1.2.1 system already on the disk.  Bonkers!  No good.  Wouldn't even boot
on the IIci (its probably something stupid to do I guess, but that kernel
works on 1.2.1 as you'll see).  So, I said, oh, what the devil and I just
started a complete install of 1.3Alpha after mkfs'ng the disk to be sure.

So, that wasn't finished before I left for work.  Come home tonite, boot
it up fine on the IIci just to be sure it works.  Cool!  Put the disk on
the Q605 and this is what happens.....

Using booter 1.11.0 I get this line, and thats it: no mas!

[ preserving 318491 bytes of netbsd symbol table ]

Geez!  Now, my Q605 has 20MB of RAM, is running MacOS 7.6.  Bummer is
that I installed the 1.3 stuff on top of what was my only 1.2.1 system
so I can't try that on it now either....

With the older booter (I think its 1.8--can't find where it tells me
what it is) I get a box on boot that says:
   NetBSD/Mac68k has not yet been proven to work on your machine.

    Boot Anyway                 Cancel Boot

Telling it Boot Anyway, and I get no further than the line above!

So this is about useless I'm afraid, but even worse, I learned there
must be something terribly out of sorts with my Q605!

>I believe all Q605s (and LC475) came with 64LC040's, so if you haven't
>changed it then that is what your machine will have. This shouldn't
>be a problem, as you should have no problem booting to single user with
>it - though it will soon crash if you try to go to multi-user. My panic
>always happens just before firing up the single user shell.

Hmmm, not mine!  Did I screw up and should I have made sure extensions
were off or something?  It was a surprise to me that when that line was
all that was displayed I could do the three-finger salute to reboot the
Mac!

I have a bad feeling that I did something really stupid here, or that
I should have done differently, whatever.

Sorry,
Paul
PS: Oh, both disks do boot fine on the IIci by the way, so now I do
    have a backup system anyway!
:)